Friday, April 27, 2007

Celebration

A couple of years ago, shortly after Xtine and I became friends, we instituted spring and summer "Celebration Nights" on the balcony at my apartment. We'd pick up a fresh baguette from Franklin Street Bakery, dips and veggies and cheese and a pint of Ben & Jerry's from the Wedge, arm ourselves with a couple of bottles of cheap champagne and sit and celebrate the good things in life. Friends, family, gainful employment, good food, bubbly - whatever was making us happy at a given point in time.

In anticipation of my move this weekend, the finale of this particular incarnation of Celebration Night was last night. We had a lot to celebrate. Men (for a change), happiness, new living situations, Xtine's new puppy, engagements (two, even!). I expected this night to contribute to the wave of nostalgia I've been riding these last few weeks, but it didn't. Not because I lack fondness for these events, but because I'm ready. Having her with me reminded me of the true function of Celebration Night - to make time to embrace the joyful things and let them breathe. To air out the stress and everyday hassles that sometimes cloud pure joy. I can think of no better end to this chapter, and can't wait to usher in the new, co-authored by my partner, my lover my friend.

Catch you on the flipside.

No comments: