Monday, May 07, 2007

Caution: Spoilers in the Form of Pictures

I woke up at 3:30am on Tuesday, May 1st ready to go. The wheels in my brain were spinning fast enough to exceed legal limits, so by 5:00am I gave up, got dressed and left my future in-laws house with my future husband still sleeping soundly so that I could make absolutely sure that all of our many, many belongings would fit in our new apartment. I'm not sure what I would have done if I'd arrived to discover that they wouldn't, but for some reason that didn't occur to me at the time. After having exhausted all the menial tasks I'd managed to fit into my car (hanging shower curtains and the like), I walked down to the coffee shop on the corner to grab a cup of joe and a muffin that was still warm from the oven. I returned to my sunporch (pictured at left), sat at my table, and watched the world go by. It would be a good day to start again.


That little radio there on the corner of the radiator? I plugged that in right away and listened to a few CDs I'd left unpacked. Bill Withers ushered in a new era. I sang a little too loudly and listened to my voice echo around the empty apartment while I waited for Sleeping Beauty to arrive. When he finally did, I danced with him all over the dining room (left) and living room (below) with morning sunlight streaming in through all the many windows of the apartment.

Things look a little different now that we're getting settled. There are a few random boxes lying around, but we're amazingly settled for people who moved in less than a week ago. So far, here's some of what I know:

- I woke up this morning, went to my closet, got out my clothes, went to my kitchen, packed my lunch, went to my bedroom, and said goodbye to Dan. All those rooms are his as well. I didn't have to go anywhere but here to find my stuff. It was phenomenal.
- There are no drunk people screaming at the tops of their lungs at 2:00am just because they're drunk and they feel like it. Or at least, they're not doing it outside my bedroom window.
- My car is always in the same spot, always within 50 steps of my apartment.
- There's laundry downstairs. It's free.
- The one true wrong I can commit with my landlord is leaving a window open when it's raining. Also, I can hear her pee when I'm peeing. Can she hear me?
- Yellow may be underrated as a paint color.
- Our apartment is the entertainment capital of the world.
- Getting married is the biggest most important scariest happiest most beautiful thing I've ever done. Or intend to do. Or whatever.

Come visit us!

No comments: