Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Anticipation

From the convicted criminal on parole sitting across the way from me at Bob's Java lamenting his inability to vote to the self-proclaimed gay transvestite combat veteran in line at my precinct polling place this morning, ousting Bush is on everyone's lips. The line at 215 Oak Grove moved quickly, and it only took about 20 minutes to go through the line and get my ballot. There was no waffling on my part at the voting booth. I said a little prayer and darkened the oval as completely as possible, so there would be no mistaking my choice. I chose a chance at peace. I chose a chance at retaining civil liberty. I chose, as others around me chose, and now nervously await the outcome. Opinions fire everywhere: who will win, who should win, whether or not it makes a difference who wins, whether or not to vote at all, whether to vote one way or another. All the political babble that has been going on for the past couple of months has become deafening, and culminates on this one day, all over the nation, all over the world. I’ve weighed my options. I’ve modified some of my more stringent beliefs. I’ve realized that it’s okay and even necessary to vote against somebody sometimes. I've done my best to make responsible decisions for people who choose not to vote, who can't vote, who refuse to vote. I’ve done my duty as a citizen. Now I wait with bated breath, unable to eat, unable to sleep, certain that on this day the future of my country and others will become incrementally brighter or significantly darker.

And I wait.

No comments: