Friday, July 23, 2004

JINXED

A mere ten days ago, I arrived at my car to find all my locks unlocked, and my stereo ripped (literally) from the center console of my car.  The total estimated cost of this repair is roughly $500, if I want to replace the stereo (which has now been stolen twice, so I'm thinking maybe not).  I called the Minneapolis police non-emergency line, and they said, "Do you know who did it?"  I said, "No."  They said, "Do you want to file the report online or over the phone?"  So I did the highly comprehensive report online and recorded my case number (for no real reason, since my insurance deductible is much higher than the needed repairs would cost). 

This morning I arrived at my car to find a small evergreen tree nestled between the hood of my car and my windshield, adding a lovely foliage decoration to the immense spider glass damage someone had caused by using said foliage to bash the passenger side of my windshield.  It was sort of picturesque, really - the cracked glass refracting and reflecting the morning light onto the branches of the mini-tree...luckily for me the guy from whose garden the tree had been stolen was taking out his trash and had a digital camera available to take pictures, so I'll post them when they arrive.  After recovering from the initial shock of having just found a tree on my windshield, and marvelling momentarily at the beauty contained within even the simplest of life's events, I contacted the Minneapolis police non-emergency line, and they said, "Do you know who did it?"  I said, "No.  But this is the second time something has happened to my car in the past 10 days."  They said, "If it happens a third time, I would insist that a squad come out.  Until then, would you like to file the report online or over the phone?"  So I did the highly comprehensive report online and recorded my case number.  This time I did call the insurance company, since most cover glass, and they said that if the windshield could be repaired, they'd do it for free.  If it has to be replaced (which it totally does), my insurance deductible applies, and since my windshield won't cost that much it doesn't make sense to involve them. 

And it really sucks about that guy's tree, too. 

No comments: